Skincare Benefits of Prickly Pear Seed Oil
Whether you’re prone to eczema flare-ups during the humid summer months, awful cramps during your period, or dull and dry hair during the winter, prickly pear seed oil could be the solution you’ve been searching for.
What is prickly pear seed oil it and where does it come from?
Prickly pear seed oil is an oil rich in fatty acids, vitamin E, and antioxidants With a name as precarious as prickly pear oil, the perks are anything but “prickly.” Prickly pear benefits range from helping calm troubled skin to improving your internal health. Prickly pear seed oil comes from the prickly pear plant which is a member of the cactus family. These plants grow fruit pods that contain seeds that are then hand-picked to extract this luxurious oil.
What are some prickly pear skincare benefits?
Prickly pear skincare benefits are numerous! Right off the bat, this facial oil is suitable for all skin types, whether that be dry, oily, acne-prone, or somewhere in between! A major benefit of prickly pear skincare is achieving healthy and balanced skin. Check out some prickly pear skincare benefits for your skin type:
Aging Skin: With all the anti-aging skin creams and serums on the market, prickly pear for aging is a natural alternative chock full of skin-healthy ingredients! Prickly pear oil is packed with Vitamin E, more so than any other plant oil on the market (even argan oil!), prickly pear helps reduce signs of aging like fine lines and wrinkles. Vitamin E is extremely moisturizing and helps keep the skin hydrated, dewy, and youthful.
Acne-Prone Skin: Bad news: many of us have struggled with bothersome acne at some point in our lives. Now here’s the good news: vitamin E can do way more than just keeping the skin youthful. The antioxidants and proteins in vitamin E oil speed up the acne healing process and can even help fade the scars and pigmentation that acne leaves behind. Prickly pear seed oil also contains zinc which is a great anti-inflammatory ingredient, reduces redness, and helps clear the acne-causing bacteria! Vitamin K helps reduce hyperpigmentation, scarring, under-eye bags, and other skin discolorations.
Oily Skin: If you have oily skin, the thought of putting MORE oil on your face can be super anxiety-producing. The high fatty acid content in prickly pear oil helps the facial oil absorb easily into the skin without leaving greasy residue behind. Once absorbed, the antioxidants stimulate the collagen that your skin naturally produces which helps tightens your pores and keep your skin’s natural moisture without becoming overly oily. Did we mention it’s non-comedogenic? It won’t clog your pores!
Dry Skin: For our dry skin friends, the phytosterol components of prickly pear seed oil binds to water which helps the skin hold onto its natural moisture even in extremely dry conditions, similar to a cactus! Maintaining the skin’s natural moisture promotes a healthy skin barrier which casts out irritation, dryness, and dullness for an overall moisturized and even skin tone.
Sensitive Skin: The plethora of fatty acids, vitamins, and antioxidants in prickly pear seed oil are gentle and suitable for sensitive skin! Many ingredients calm inflammation and redness without causing further irritation to the skin.
Let’s talk about some of the other components of organic prickly pear seed oil:
Palmitic Acid: Palmitic acid is known for its healing properties that are specifically helpful for skin irritations like eczema or dermatitis. Our bodies naturally produce palmitic acid on its own, but production decreases as we age which is why we should be adding it back in!
Linoleic Acid: Linoleic acid is known for being repairing and nourishing. Linoleic acid helps our skin create a healthy and strong barrier that keeps skin moisturized and soft. Linoleic acid also has anti-inflammatory and regenerative properties which help calm and clear acne.
Oleic Acid: Huge moisture sealer! This acid is found in foods like olive oil and avocados.
But Wait, There’s More!
There are lots of other prickly pear benefits besides prickly pear skincare. Prickly pear oil for skin or the prickly pear plant in general has a variety of benefits:
- If your hair is lacking luster, prickly pear seed oil can help revive your hair! When applied regularly, prickly pear oil promotes shiny and healthy hair.
- Prickly pear seed oil is a natural frizz fighter!
- Collagen can do more than just promote skin health! Fatty acids in prickly pear seed oil like Omega-9 helps hair stay hydrated.
- Prickly pear oil strengthens nails and cuticles.
- Putting a couple of drops of organic prickly pear seed oil in an essential oil diffuser will give your skin refreshing steam that allows the oil to penetrate and clean out your pores through air diffusion.
- It’s hypoglycemic! Consuming prickly pear can help maintain a healthy blood glucose level, and even lower it if its high!
- Historically, prickly pear oil has been used to treat burns!
- The prickly pear fruit is full of fiber, when consumed it will keep you feeling fuller for longer which can lead to healthy weight loss.
- Prickly pear contains lots of micronutrients like iron, potassium, and calcium that are beneficial for metabolic health.
- It’s an awesome hangover cure. When juiced, the anti-inflammatory properties can reduce nasty symptoms like headaches and an upset stomach.
- Also great for PMS or period symptoms like aches, pains, cramps, and overall tenderness!
Sunia K Sabrah Oil:
Ethical and natural products are important to us! Sabrah oil (Hebrew for prickly pear!) is sustainably sourced from an eco-certified prickly pear plant grower in Zelfene, Tunisia which has an ideal climate for the plants to grow. The seeds are harvested and cold-pressed over 10 days for 100% pure prickly pear seed oil.
Whether you are looking to improve the health of your hair, skin, and nails, or work on your health internally, prickly pear seed oil is a great holistic wonder that will surely boost any health or beauty routine!